Thursday, December 4, 2008

Coward of the County

I'm a coward. There I said it. Some people are born chance-takers. They are not afraid of change and embrace the "what could be". I, on the other hand, am one who likes a rut. I prepare a path then execute it to the best of my ability. I don't like to change the path out of fear of "what might be".

I graduated high school in 1991. I had chosen my major years before. I entered college and didn't deviate from it (most people change major's at least once). I did contemplate a change in my junior year, but I figured I had come that far that I would finish. I started to work and been there for 15 years now. I dated my wife exclusively since I was 16 (she was 14). We married when I graduated college. We live in the same town that we were raised in.

People are just wired different. I have friends that have been through several different majors. Hold multiple degrees in various subjects. Have held a half dozen jobs in the last 15 years. Maybe they haven't found that perfect job. Something they love to do. Maybe they're just looking to move up in the world and each job is a step up the change. I have friends that have lived all across this great nation of ours. One in particular spent her summer's on Alabama's emerald coast and winters in Aspen, Colorado.

I'll just tell you that I'm envious. I would love to move here or there. Just to experience a different area, or culture. Have a new base camp to explore the world. Actively seek a new job. One with more prestige, a better position, with new things to learn and do.

I have given my heart the things it desires the most. Stability...predictability....a steady course. I expand my boundaries in things my soul can tolerate. Challenge myself with new hobbies (golf, bike, wood work), with new challenges (triathlon, running, teaching, blogging).

I give mad props to those who never give up on their dreams. Finish that degree in the field you wanted to a long time ago. Get that perfect job you've been dreaming about. Make that move to the place you've always dreamt of living.

Don't feel sorry for me, cause I'm living out my dreams too. A good job that I love. A great wife that I cherish. Awesome kids that I adore. And enough challenges to remind me that I'm alive and kicking.

No comments: