Thursday, November 20, 2008

SueShe.....Or........ Wasabi's happening?

I am a somewhat adventurous eater. Well, if you saw me, you'd probably realize that I don't pass on much. I live in a small town that currently doesn't have a restaurant at all. The extent of our culinary fair ends at the 24 hour gas station that makes pizzas and fried chicken. I was in college before the next town over got a Chinese or Mexican place. That said, rural Mississippi is not the center of cultural culinary exchange. Most of my exposure to regional and multi-cultural cuisine came after I started to work. I have traveled to many different parts of the country and had the privilege to dine at a lot of really nice places. (Thanks Mr. Employer!)

One of the things I had always wanted to try (but lack the courage to order on my own) was sushi. I finally had my emancipation thanks to Coach, who invited us out for dinner and theater. We went to a Japanese hibachi restaurant (or "the place where they cook on the table" according to Bug). Turns out Coach was a sushi aficionado.

I lost my sushi virginity with a spicy tuna, crunchy shrimp, and an eel roll.

And.......I.......Loved.......It.......

The next step is to talk Woody's (the local gas station) to add sushi next to the fried chicken livers and gizzards. So that's not going to happen, so what's a guy to do?

Make his own.

I used catfish and brim from the Pearl river.....Naaaaa. Given the lack of a local fish monger, we made a spicy California roll (with crab) and a crunchy shrimp roll. Here's the final one before rolling. Using up the left overs this one was half and half.


And a plate of the final product.....



Coach gave it his seal of approval.

Hey check out Sushi Day. It's a great website that covers all the basics and has a bunch of recipes.

No comments: